Learn how to Search the Whiskystats Database

Board Forums Article Discussions Learn how to Search the Whiskystats Database

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Whiskystats Whiskystats 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Whiskystats
    Whiskystats
    Keymaster

Information is worth nothing if you cannot find it, and with thousands of bottles and tens of thousands of prices in our database you are likely to ge…
    Read the full Article at: Learn how to Search the Whiskystats Database

rivasj
    Participant

Good morning from Texas. I have a whisky that is not in your database.

The Old Malt Cask
    Single Malt Scotch Whisky fromOne Cask
    Douglas Laing & Co Ltd
    Dallas Dhu Distillery
    Distilled 1971 March
    Bottled 2007 August
    Aged 36 years
    One of 181
    Hogshead DL Ref: 3802

I was unable to locate it in your database in order to add it to my collection. Please advise. Thank you.

Whiskystats
    Whiskystats
    Keymaster

Hi rivasj,
    you are right, this bottle is not displayed at the moment.
    Nevertheless, it is already in our database but has only one price observation (October 2014, 237 Euros).
    As soon as we observe a second trade, it will be displayed and you can add it to your collection!

JollyPeatman
    Participant

Hello,
    What should I do with a whisky that is not in your database, can I manually add it?
    Strathclyde 25 Years – 1989 The Sovereign 59.7 %
    Hunter Laing Single Cask
    Strathclyde Distillery
    Distilled 1989 Feb
    Bottled 2014 Sep
    Aged 25 years
    One of 186

Whiskystats
    Whiskystats
    Keymaster

Hi JollyPeatman,
    unfortunately it is not (yet) possible to manually add whiskies. Bottles are added to our database as soon as we observe two different trades. Note that at the moment we only consider single malt whiskies since it is them which are most relevant on the secondary market…

JollyPeatman
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering why single malt whisky’s are more sought after than single grain?
    Thanks,

Whiskystats
    Whiskystats
    Keymaster

There are, probably, many reasons for this. First thing has to be tradition. The secondary whisky market we observe is a collectors market, and collectors love tradition. It is the Scots “who made whisky drinkable” and throughout the last century world famous. And the traditional scotch whisky is a single malt whisky. Next thing would be image. Many “whisky connoisseurs” believed that single grain whiskies couldn’t be that complex in taste and variety as single malts and that they are just to sweet. Although recent bottlings like the one you mentioned would certainly contradict that, it takes time to change an image. That said, maybe in the future more single grains make it to auctions and we will start tracking them as well.

Ivo Bühler
    Participant

Hello, I’m updating my whisky collection…
    Mackmyra Whiskys are missing in the database.
    Mackmyra
    Brukswhisky
    41.4 vol %
    100 cl
    Orgin, Sweden

Whiskystats
    Whiskystats
    Keymaster

Hi Ivo,
    at the moment we are only tracking prices of scotch and japanese single malts.
    However, you can create a custom bottle and enter your own buy-price and latest price.observation.
    If you select “Unknown” as a distillery and type in “Mackmyra” for the Series the bottle will appear as a Mackmyra bottling in your collection.

Find more details on custom bottles here https://www.whiskystats.net/howto/add-custom-bottles-to-your-collections/

Best wishes,
    Johannes

Erik
    Participant

Hello,
    consider to take ‘Glendronach 2002 Single Cask 14 Year Old #1504’ into your database.
    Great work !
    Thanks.

Whiskystats
    Whiskystats
    Keymaster

Hi Erik,
    whiskies are added to our whisky database as soon as we have two price observations from different auctions. If you have your own prices you can use “custom bottles” to add this whisky to your collections (see here).

Best wishes,
    Johannes

Dan Taylor
    Participant

Hello,
    Which databases do you search to be able to grow your list of whisky? Or are you manually entering all tens of thousands?

Whiskystats
    Whiskystats
    Keymaster

Hi Dan,
    each month we collect all the price observations from the auctioneers we track. We then match these observations to the whiskies in our database. So there is no database we directly source our information from, just a list of price observations.

tigersimba
    Participant

Hello Whiskystats team,

I have a whisky that is not in your database.
    Hibiki 21 Year Old Mount Fuji 2nd Edition.
    I was unable to locate it in your database in order to add it to my collection. Please advise. Thank you.

Whiskystats
    Whiskystats
    Keymaster

Hi tigersimba,
    Hibiki is a japanese blend brand and at the moment we are only tracking scotch and japanese single malt whiskies. However, we are currently in the process of adding Bourbon whiskies to our database and later this year we will also add Blends. So Hibiki (and other blend whisky brands) will come soon!

Best wishes,
    Johannes from Whiskystats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.