Whisky Market Breadth

Board Forums Article Discussions Whisky Market Breadth

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    WhiskystatsWhiskystats
    Keymaster

The prices for collectable whisky keep on rising. But for how many whiskies is this actually true? Is the market driven by just a few rare releases or…
    Read the full Article at: Whisky Market Breadth

alan scottalan scott
    Participant

Interesting article. Most market indices are driven by a small number of high performing stocks.
    You make the point that -“Apparently a lot of whiskies have a price change close to zero. This should be of no big surprise since a lot of new releases are entering the market and it takes some time to move the price”
    It’s actually worse than this as many new entrants to the market fall from their first auction price for 4 or 5 months before regaining an upward trend. Macallan Folio 5 for example was fetching 785 Euros in January 2020. It’s now fetching 568 Euros.
    This is a very common pattern for new releases and I wonder why collectors buy in the first auction. It can’t be to make money so I suppose the reason must be to be the first amongst their friends to own a new release.

WhiskystatsWhiskystats
    Keymaster

Yes, that initial bottle flipping for ridiculous prices is something we observere very regularly. It is often the case for “hyped” releases like you mentioned the Folio 5, some Highland Parks and so on. Actually when looking at the highest value losers most of them experience exactly that. Prime example is the whole Game of Thrones series. The Lochnagar House Baratheon dropped from over 400 Euros to 30 Euros!

alan scottalan scott
    Participant

There’s one new release going in auction for £130 at present. It cost £100 retail and can still be bought retail for £100! I won’t mention the name as I own it and I’m very happy to see the price going up.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by alan scottalan scott.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.